Sunday, July 29, 2007

Bird flu, no longer newsworthy

It's been a while since I added to my blog. Did you notice it's also been a while since we heard of bird flu in the news? Yes, the hype is gone. The pandemic that was looming over the world seems forgotten. After almost three years now since the first bird flu case, there is still no evidence of any potential human to human transmission. So the media just gave up and went somewhere else for stories.

What does it mean?

Just what I said all along. That the next pandemic will not come from birds. It will most likely come -just as every other pandemic in history- from swine.

Because, don't be fooled by the absence of news on this, the pandemic will come. Humanity has seen three major pandemics and three minor pandemics during the last century; we are overdue for the next one. Don't rely on birds for it, but don't become complacent.

Oh, and don't listen to the drug manufacturers. Tamiflu and its counterparts will do you absolutely no good. A friend of mine who managed to get his hands on some Tamiflu read the paper that came with it. He noticed that there were more contra-indications (reasons for not taking the medication) than there were indications. Everyone from pregnant women to diabetics seemed to be on the list, basically confirming our impression that Tamiflu is totally useless.

I have my homeopath's number handy. As soon as we get to a stage where the symptoms are identified, I am calling her for my medication against that particular strain of influenza.

It's not because media doesn't care any more that the threat is gone. So I'm watching and I'm prepared.

Are you?

Alain Normand
Author, teacher, lecturer.

No comments: